Sunday, September 25, 2011

25th Seattle AIDS Walk and 5K Run

I participated in the 25th Seattle AIDS Walk this past Saturday with some of my GREAT friends!  We arrived (venti coffee in hand) at Volunteer Park in Capital Hill to start the race.  Thank goodness it was SUNNY and HOT, so yes...I sported my awesome shades :)


We were very early so we walked around to all the different booths and got a lot of cool and interesting things.  Thanks to Whole Foods I was hydrated all day, man they had an awesome spread of little pastries and fruits and a gazillion bottles of water.


My goodies

At the opening ceremony there was a flash mob!  FUN!!!  Next year I want to be part of one, not organize it, but be part of one.  This year over $300K raised!  We waited patiently for the walkers time to start...must say I was sweating in anticipation....no I was sweating because we all were herded like cattle in front of the start line awaiting the signal to go and it was SO hot!

A friend and I under the hot sun!

The walk was great!  Pretty much flat the entire way except for the killer hill at the end...whew...I'd rather start with the killer hill than end with it!  I got to see a part of the city that I haven't really seen before, I haven't explored very much of Capital Hill or Downtown yet, but I will!  Definitely need to go back and explore Volunteer Park as there was SO much there that I didn't get to see.

Our team!!!!  We be winners!

I have to say that we all looked pretty good after walking 3 miles in the hot sun!  I'm so very glad that I got to participate this year and will definitely again next year.  Heather and I have a goal of running it next year, so I better get my okole (butt) in gear and start training for it!


Our friend Jen was a Volunteer...I WANT HER SHIRT

This was my second 5K I participated in....last year I was 45 pounds heavier and I did notice a difference this year.  Of course last year it was an obstacle course and this was a straight walk, but imagine having to carry a big ol' bag of rice with you.  Hopefully next year I'll be another 45 pounds lighter and can finish the race with a sprint!

No comments:

Post a Comment